Tuesday, May 26, 2015

We all started somewhere

A little background, I started playing 40k in 1998 at 16 years old.  I had played with and painted battletech figures, however all my work was done with enamels and was primarily two tone bright color paint jobs.  The only paints I had access to were either GW paints, craft store paints or Testors acrylic and enamel paints.

These paint jobs are bad, they are bad even by the standards of the time which were far lower than in the modern Internet era.  The point of this is, I got better, in fact most of my growth came in more modern times.

My first real advance came with making washes from inks in the early 2000's this was a technique I hadn't really seen or heard of until I started to see it around the Internet.  This made simple basic color paint jobs gain a new level of depth and shading.  The last 3 or 4 years have been when I've seen the most growth in my skills.  Every model I paint, I try a new technique, I work with better materials, I push myself to try something more difficult.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't the important thing is I'm always getting better.

In these pictures you can see two of my new models behind my three old Black Templar models.  These aren't even some of the worst examples, but due to sitting in boxes for a couple of decades, most of them are in small poorly built badly painted pieces.




1 comment:

  1. I love how the painting aspect of this hobby has developed over the past 10 years or so. Sharing on the internet has helped people to grow so much when it comes to choosing media and painting techniques; some truly amazing art is being created. I started with Battletech too, back in '94, and used those tubes of paint from the newsagent. What was I thinking!? :-)

    ReplyDelete